We just finished our unit on Biodiversity and Conservation and I have always been interested in doing a unit on the monarch butterfly. I started to look around on TPT and found this AWESOME unit on the Life Cycle of Butterflies.
I wanted to share what we have done and how much we have enjoyed it!!!
- We started with the KWL cards from the TPT unit on the life cycle of butterflies. Students wrote what they knew and wanted to know on post-its and we hung them in the room.
- I ordered these baby caterpillars from Amazon.com (gotta love prime) and we began to do some in depth observing on this Butterfly Garden observation guide
- Day 2 we did centers with the level 3 readings from the TPT packet. We had 6 centers (I laminated all pages and printed in color). Info (What is a butterfly reading), Vocabulary (butterfly parts posters), Egg, Larva, Chrysalis, and Adult Butterfly. I set a 4 minute timer and had students move from center to center in groups of 4 reading the information. The TPT packet included a document that I used to have students show what they had learned by describing the 4 phases of a butterfly’s life! The vocabulary they used was amazing.
- Day 3 we observed our own caterpillars again and recorded on our Butterfly Garden observation guide. We also read and colored this book.
- Day 4 we went back to the KWL chart and recorded what we learned. We observed our caterpillars one more time! I think that they’ll form their chrysalis this weekend so I’m thinking next week we’ll be recording a whole different kind of data!
- Finishing up- We have other things to do in class so we’re leaving our butterfly study behind but we will continue to observe our little babies as they grow! Watch for our pictures on Twitter @senoracmt #wildcatSpanish3